Monday, June 11, 2007

Well, we're still Pretending... and another Thing

With more attention than illegal wars, poverty, and other news of actual import, the heiress named for a French city famous for dog-doo on its streets is back in the clink. Will it make any difference? According to her publicist, yes, but the real issue is what this whole caper adds to the already overwhelming evidence that the system needs fixin'. But this we knew, so, there we are.

In other news, the latest Harry Potter book will be out next month, a few short weeks away and I for one am looking forward to it. While I must confess that the, um "borrowings" Rowling took from an earlier author bother me, and while I maintain that her success has seriously affected the amount of editing she is forced to do (book five in particular needed some culling), I nonetheless have enjoyed the series. Friends of mine at work, who are otherwise rather open, have joined the camp of "I won't read anything popular" and so I am unable to discuss this with them, but thankfully a few of our elderly volunteers do read Potter and we are all a-tither discussing what we think will happen. I am beginning to think Snape might not make it--double (or triple?) agents do not tend to fare well...

3 comments:

Ka_Ka said...

“O segredo do êxito é a honestidade. Se puderes evitá-la, consegues lá chegar.”
Groucho Marx

Jim Tschen Emmons said...

Dear Kanoff,

Thanks for reading. I agree with Senor Marx, and on that note, Groucho also said "There is no sweeter sound than the crumbling of one's fellow man." I can't say that I agree, not even in Hilton's case, but I will say if she's lucky she just might learn something. Just hope that doesn't hurt too much ;-)

meteowrite said...

Interesting Harry Potter facts I turned up in the latest issue of "Bookpage," a little publication that we get at the Public Library. 65 percent of the paper used to publish this last HP book is certified by the Forest Stewardship Council, the single largest purchase of FSC paper to be used in the printing of a single book title. 30 percent of the paper is post-consumer waste fiber. Go JKR.

Also, in a list of speculation about which allegedly "dead" people might come back, it's noted that in Egyptian mythology, the dog star Sirius is the symbol for resurrection.

AND, duh, I'd never thought of this, when JKR says "at least two major characters will die," one of them will obviously be Voldemort. Somehow that just clicked for me.