
I've not read the books (yet), and I will mostly likely miss the moving-picture version as we rarely have a chance to go to the cinema, but my friend Tho, who has started His Dark Materials, got me reading Philip Pullman's essays after he called to ask me about the religious controversy and media-hype over the books/film. Not to crow loudly or at all really, but I am Tho's usual source for questions religious, historical, or mythological--few of his other friends were as insane as I was and thus decided against a PhD in early medieval history with an emphasis in intellectual and religious topics. Their loss ;-) From the little he read to me not only is Pullman drawing upon some juicy myth/etc., but he is a beautiful writer to boot.
If you like to write, if you like to read, if you believe literature to be food for the soul, then do read a few of the selections at M'sieur Pullman's website. Here's the link:

No comments:
Post a Comment