Saturday, January 26, 2008

A Better Bag ("man bag" to some, just "bag" to me)

For some time now I've been on the lookout for a decent bag, one that carries the crap we carry everyday but which is not so big that I could fit books etc. for three classes in it. In other words, something between a book bag and a wallet. My pal Fritz, who has made himself something of an expert on the matter, and I have discussed the whole "man bag" issue a number of times, but unlike my pal Fritz I've yet to happen upon a bag that really suited me.

As an aside, I don't care for the whole "man bag" label either--it's silly. It's a bag, just that, so why get all gendery about it? The fact is we carry a lot of stuff these days, some of us anyway, and it is getting harder to keep it all in one place, let alone find places to stow it all. A simple list of things many people carry:

  • keys
  • wallet
  • phone
  • glasses (sun or otherwise)
  • MP3 Player
  • GPS (hey, some people do)
  • notebook & pens
  • chapstick (or make-up if you're female or a guy into that sort of thing--you know who you are)
  • lighter & smokes (if you're into that sort of thing)

& for me at least...

  • two diapers (currently size 4)
  • zinc oxide paste (not for the nose but for the tyke's backside; currently carrying "Buttpaste," which while a bit indelicate is nonetheless specific)
  • a travel-size packet o'wipes (don't make me explain it)
  • an extra onesie
  • a disposable plastic tablecloth (these are cool and make clean-up fast)
  • a spoon (just in case)
  • bib
  • recycled grocery store bags for diapers past their prime
I am still considering designing my own and having someone make it out of leather, but until then, I've had a week to give one by Swiss Gear ($24 at Target) a run and so far it's worked well. Here are some photos (sorry about the quality [and orientation of the first two..]):

the whole thing with flap closed


with flap open


interior view*



close-up of interior pocket flap



a shot with hardcover book for scale (hey Jenn, how about that title? Yeah, first American edition Silmarillion...pretty cool, huh?)



*the lighter is one I carry as a courtesy to my friends who smoke; the magnifying glass, well, once you work with manuscripts you just don't like being without one (nerdy, but there it is); and yes, the rolled up thing is a Sesame Street bib--like 'em for the full coverage.

My better-half added a cylindrical bottle thingy that keeps things cool:

Playtex Single Fridge ($9.99 at Target)


This handy thing fits a sizeable sippy cup of milk and it rides either inside or outside as you prefer. Very handy. I added the requisite bottle of hand-cleanser and a carabiner as well.

The bag sports a wide-strap, which is very comfy, and it is lightweight. There is a small pocket on the flap; one on the back with a small velcro closure; another pocket on the front side; two slightly bigger than small on the front side interior; the pocket flap with two slots for pens, a cell-phone holder, and a small pouch; and the entire interior can be zipped up as well. Best of all, it is just about the right size too--it fits a hardcover or two and still carries everything else. Oh, and it also comes in olive green.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome to the dark side!

Jim Tschen Emmons said...

Oh I was already there, only bagless ;-)