
The title might make you think that this post, like most of the others, is yet more ado about nothing, but no, this time I've got the goods. Yesterday I witnessed something amazing, no lie, and it got me thinking. Sometimes I think, yes.
As I mentioned a post or so ago we are about to return west, hooray, and that means entering the lists against the squalid knights of employment, or more usually in my case, unemployment and his cousin semi-employment. My better half who is employable, always has been, and is now more than ever, has not been worried about landing a new job, something I confess to have found somewhat bewildering. I mean, how could that be? Now I know.
In order to help her out I used my librarian magic to scour the net for all manner of stuff to help her in her search, and found one site, which didn't look to be much, that offered help so long as one join their free service. Well, free, so, a bit suspect. I did some digging and they turn out to be legit, so I went ahead and got her started. I had thought, from the way they talk, that they would offer resume help for her particular field, but no, that was lie, or a miscommunication, or clever marketing, or some such similar evil. This was a place to put a resume so that recruiters might see it, but of course we joined to get help shoring up her resume, so not so much a case of posting as not posting a resume. Just to get that far I had to submit some basic info., name, occupation, current type of occupation within field, blah blah blah. I told myself reassuringly that I would get a resume up, any resume up, the next day.
Well, the next day, yesterday, the phone rang off the hook. Recruiters from all over the country, some even where we're moving, were just aching to talk to L. and offer her one, or more than one, offer in their area. I was flabergasted--I don't know exactly how one blasts a flaber, but trust me, it was like that. All the flaber was getting gasted. Twice. Her inbox was likewise like the fertile crescent on Yahweh's monsoon season. UN-be-LIEV-a-BLE! I've never seen anything like it, and yes, without even a resume posted!!!!!
Now, compare this state of affairs with those in other fields, oh I don't know, say academia or libraries or the like. Depressing, ain't it? We "could sing 'hey ho for a job'" and not a head would turn. On the other hand, it is also very revealing, a telling clue as to the real values and needs of a culture. This is not the post for that particular tirade, but still, very interesting. I am thrilled beyond words that L. might have as many as twenty jobs before we even leave, don't get me wrong, but I am perhaps a little envious, and perhaps a little sad too, that the best recruiter these days for humanists is a sign and a highway median.
As I mentioned a post or so ago we are about to return west, hooray, and that means entering the lists against the squalid knights of employment, or more usually in my case, unemployment and his cousin semi-employment. My better half who is employable, always has been, and is now more than ever, has not been worried about landing a new job, something I confess to have found somewhat bewildering. I mean, how could that be? Now I know.
In order to help her out I used my librarian magic to scour the net for all manner of stuff to help her in her search, and found one site, which didn't look to be much, that offered help so long as one join their free service. Well, free, so, a bit suspect. I did some digging and they turn out to be legit, so I went ahead and got her started. I had thought, from the way they talk, that they would offer resume help for her particular field, but no, that was lie, or a miscommunication, or clever marketing, or some such similar evil. This was a place to put a resume so that recruiters might see it, but of course we joined to get help shoring up her resume, so not so much a case of posting as not posting a resume. Just to get that far I had to submit some basic info., name, occupation, current type of occupation within field, blah blah blah. I told myself reassuringly that I would get a resume up, any resume up, the next day.
Well, the next day, yesterday, the phone rang off the hook. Recruiters from all over the country, some even where we're moving, were just aching to talk to L. and offer her one, or more than one, offer in their area. I was flabergasted--I don't know exactly how one blasts a flaber, but trust me, it was like that. All the flaber was getting gasted. Twice. Her inbox was likewise like the fertile crescent on Yahweh's monsoon season. UN-be-LIEV-a-BLE! I've never seen anything like it, and yes, without even a resume posted!!!!!
Now, compare this state of affairs with those in other fields, oh I don't know, say academia or libraries or the like. Depressing, ain't it? We "could sing 'hey ho for a job'" and not a head would turn. On the other hand, it is also very revealing, a telling clue as to the real values and needs of a culture. This is not the post for that particular tirade, but still, very interesting. I am thrilled beyond words that L. might have as many as twenty jobs before we even leave, don't get me wrong, but I am perhaps a little envious, and perhaps a little sad too, that the best recruiter these days for humanists is a sign and a highway median.

No comments:
Post a Comment